Spring is just around the corner and that can only mean one thing... No, not warmer weather—spring cleaning! When you are cleaning your house top to bottom, don’t forget about your CPAP equipment. Regular cleaning and timely replacement of your CPAP equipment is an important part of effective treatment for sleep apnea. Here are some daily and weekly CPAP cleaning tips to work into your routine!
- Wipe your mask seal and cushions with CPAP wipes or a warm, damp, soapy cloth.
- Rinse your humidifier chamber with water and let dry.
- Check the water level in the humidifier chamber prior to sleep each night. Use distilled water only.
- Wipe your machine with a clean, damp cloth.
- Wash your mask, headgear, tubing, and water chamber in warm, soapy water. Use a small amount of mild dish detergent (non-antibacterial).Note: Antibacterial soap can damage masks.
- Rinse your equipment in clear water. Shake the excess water from the tubing and hang to dry. Towel dry your headgear and hang to finish drying. Air-dry all other equipment.
- Remove the filter from the machine. Rinse the filter under running water, squeeze out excess water and air dry. Caution: Do not use soap to clean the filter; only water.
- Change your filters as per your Careica sleep clinician’s instructions.
Replacing your CPAP equipment
“My equipment looks fine! Why should I replace it?”
It might look fine to the naked eye,but even with regular cleaning, harmful bacteria can build up on your CPAP equipment. To prevent this, it is recommended that you replace your mask and accessories every 6 to 12 months and replace your CPAP machine every five years. Using old, dirty CPAP equipment can lead to:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Skin irritations and rashes
- Airway/lung irritation
- Respiratory infection
7 in 10 CPAP patients say they sleep better after replacing their supplies.
1 in 3 CPAP patients say they get more sleep after replacing supplies.
ORDER YOUR CPAP SUPPLIES TODAY!
Time to order some replacement CPAP supplies? We can help! Give us a call at 1-888-297-7889 or shop online at CareicaHealth.com/shop and get free shipping on every order!